Home Kanjiquick Contact Impressum
Frequently Asked Questions
- Registration and license questions
- KanjiQuick functions
- EDICT functions
- Fragen zum Wadoku Modul
Dear user: To enable us to give you the best comfort with our products please contact us if you encountered any problem not listed here or if the suggested solution did not satisfy you. Privacy of your mail address is respected.
- I have MS Windows 98/ME®. Can I run KanjiQuick?
- Are there any limitations with MS Windows 98/ME?
- KanjiQuick says I have to install the font "Arial Unicode MS" and "MS Gothic".
What can I do?
- I have a Japanese system (98/ME/2000/XP). Can I run KanjiQuick?
- The setup displays "some system files are out of date and must be replaced". Then the computer shuts down and starts again, but the setup displays the same message again
and again and again. What is going wrong?
- What is the difference between the test and the full version?
- How long can I evaluate the program?
- Is there any limitation to the evaluation versions?
Registration and license questions
- I registered and purchased a license key for KanjiQuick, but I am
not able to unlock the program - it won't accept the key code.
KanjiQuick function questions
- I cannot see the radicals in the radical window
- The program "freezes" after opening the Transer window
EDICT Reader questions
Fragen zum Wadoku Modul
Ich habe die neueste WadokuJT-Datei heruntergeladen, aber KanjiQuick kann sie
nicht öffnen. Die Spalten im Wadoku-Reader sind um eine Stelle nach rechts verrutscht Die Sortierung im Wadoku-Reader funktioniert nicht richtig
Ich habe die neueste WadokuJT-Datei heruntergeladen, aber KanjiQuick kann sie nicht öffnen.
In der neuen Version der WadokuJT.mdb von U. Apel wurde der Name der Tabelle in "WadokuJT (c) Ulricht Apel 1998 - 2002" in "... - 2003" geändert. Öffnen Sie die Datei und ändern Sie "2002" in "2003". Damit dürfte das Problem behoben sein. Wir bieten in Kürze eine korrigierte Programm-Version an, in der dieses Problem nicht mehr auftritt. Bei Fragen mailen Sie uns bitte. Die Spalten im Wadoku-Reader sind um eine Stelle nach rechts verrutscht
Wenn Sie die WadokuDB.zip vor dem 9.10.2003 heruntergeladen haben, laden Sie die Datei bitte noch einmal herunter. Der Fehler sollte nicht mehr auftreten. Die Sortierung im Wadoku-Reader funktioniert nicht richtig
Die Sortierung wurde in der Version 2.1. überarbeitet. Jetzt können Sie auch absteigend/aufsteigend sortieren.
How can I register?
KanjiQuick is not freeware. JaF is not a commercial publisher but a non-profit organization. However, to enable us to cover running costs (server, ads etc.) we must charge a small amount when you register for a license. Also, please consider that our programs are not sold in thousands nor hundreds of copies (anyway not at the time being). See this page for details on registration (Japanese-German version: here)I registered and purchased a license key for KanjiQuick, but I am not able to unlock the program - it won't accept the key code.
With the latest version this problem should be fixed. To unlock the program start it first. Then open your mail with the key code. Select the whole key code line and copy it (press CRTL and C, or select COPY from the mail program's menu bar. There is no need to paste.) Just select 'registration' from the INFO or HELP menu to complete the unlock process. The title bar of the program should display a "registration successful" message. If this fails (the program will then try to connect to our license pages on the internet - sorry for that) , you may try this method:1. Quit the program.
2. Open the file JapanVoice.ini or KanjiQuickEN.ini in your windows folder. (Deutsche
3. Look for the entry [REGISTRATION]. You will probably find a line
"PassWord=DemoPass" and a second line "User=DemoUser" below this entry.
(If there is no entry [REGISTRATION] please create - make sure you do not forget
the [ ] brackets).
4. Change the two lines below [REGISTRATION] to read
where YourPassword is the right part of the key code sent to you by email (##Your
name##YourPassword##). Make sure to delete all dots being used in the key code
sent by mail, but otherwise give your name and password exactly as you found in in
the confirmation mail
5. Save the JapanVoice.ini in your windows folder
6. Run the program. If the program still does not run, please contact us. I have MS Windows 98/ME®. Can I run KanjiQuick?
KanjiQuick is designed for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP but has been reported not to run on all win98/ME machines. The only way to find out whether KanjiQuick will run with your win98 machine is to download the test version and try. See also this paragraph for some limitations. Are there any limitations with MS Windows 98/ME?
1. There may be problems when loading/converting EDICT (German version: WadokuJT) data and when loading/saving texts into/from the transer/voice module. In many cases this could be solved by downloading and installing the file MDAC_TYP.exe 2.8. from the MS download area (this file is about 5 MB of size).
2. Win98/ME user will find all Japanese characters in the EDICT/WadokuJT data grid displayed as "????". This is a technical problem with the operation system and not a bug. You will, however, be able to see the contents of a grid line in the central window after clicking on the specific line.
KanjiQuick says I have to install the font "Arial Unicode MS" and "MS Gothic". What can I do?I have a Japanese system (98/ME/2000/XP ®). Can I run KanjiQuick?
KanjiQuick needs Japanese fonts to display Kanji and Kana. If your OS is MS Windows 98/ME you must download a Japanese language pack from the MS download pages (see below). If you are using Windows 2000 or XP you must activate Japanese language support from your system's setting menu. See Nihongo-Ok for detailed instructions (all systems).
There have been a few problems with earlier versions running on Japanese MS Windows OS. These problems have been fixed now. Version 2.1 or newer of KanjiQuick can be used with all Windows systems including Japanese. Is there a discount for students?
Yes we offer a student discount. See this page for details. To obtain a discounted license, you will have to provide a copy of your student ID sent by fax or by email. Please contact us by email if you are a student and want a license at a discounted fee. I cannot see the radicals in the radical window
This is a bug in versions earlier to 2.1.11. Please download the latest version. Program "freezes" after opening the Transer window
This problem may be due to improper settings in the ini-file. Solution: Open the file KanjiQuickEN.ini (or KanjiQuickDE.ini) in your windows folder and delete all entries except for those in the REGISTRATION section. How long can I evaluate the program?
KanjiQuick can be evaluated without limit. However, the program will make you wait for results if you use it continuously without registering. Are there any limitations to the evaluation versions?
KanjiQuick will display a reminder if you use it continuously without registration. What is the difference between the test and the full versions?
The test versions provide only 100 Kanji and about 1200 Kanji compounds (jukugo). If you have a low speed internet connection it is convenient to test these versions first, since they come with only about 7 MB compared to 39 MB of the full versions. How can I acvtivate Japanese language support on my computer?
See this website with details for all MS Windows users. The setup displays "some system files are out of date and must be replaced". Then the computer shuts down and starts again, but the setup displays the same message again and again and again. What is going wrong?
This behaviour may be due to several reasons. For users having MS Windows 2000 ® or XP in many cases it helped updatig the system (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com). If the problem persists, please contact JaF. When the EDICT file is being converted an error message is displayed and the program stops
This behaviour is due to a recent change in the original EDICT data format. We will fix this problem with the next version. To make use of the EDICT data with the current version just click the OK button when the error message is displayed. KanjiQuick will continue and complete processing the EDICT data. You may then use the KanjiQuick EDICT Reader for your searches.
(c) Fachverband Japanisch als Fremdsprache e.V., Bonn und Düsseldorf 2004, Nassestr. 2, D 53113 Bonn, Germany